This week’s (belated) Top Ten Thursday post is about Halloween – the top ten things we love or hate about everyone’s favorite haunted holiday!
1. Carving Jack-O-Lanterns is a lot of work.
Like… it’s really messy. And you always have to scrape a lot more flesh out than you thought you’d have to and then you have to separate the seeds from the flesh and then you actually have to carve the pumpkin and hope that it doesn’t break.
2. The results are often cute.
Also, roasted pumpkin seeds are awesome and homemade ones are the best and the only way to get them is to brave the pumpkin carving.
3. Making Halloween costumes is a lot of work.
I spent SO MUCH TIME cutting out panels of feathers from this felt and then hand-sewing them onto a red hoodie. So much that I swore that the next time G picked a Halloween costume I couldn’t buy at the store, I was going to buy a sewing machine.
4. Again, the results are often cute.
I knocked that Red Goose costume out of the park.
5. Costumes can be reused and that’s awesome.
G has re-purposed parts of her red goose costume. I removed the beak from the hoodie and she wears it on a regular basis. She’s also used the tutu for ballet class and as a lion mane.
But I’ve also reused and re-purposed my own costumes. Years ago, Andy’s cousin had a Renaissance-themed wedding and guests were encouraged to come in costume. After that wedding, I used the clothes for Halloween a couple of times.
6. Little kids in costume are just the best.
7. Group costumes can be a lot of fun.
8. Other times, people don’t stick to any theme and pictures look weird.
9. Halloween is the only time Andy will consent to Ziggy wearing clothes.
10. Halloween isn’t much of a thing in Europe (or at least Switzerland).
Last year we went to Amsterdam to visit my cousin. I did some reading online and found that Halloween is (barely) celebrated there. We saw a few other kids in costume. I think it’s mostly used as an excuse for adults to party.
The Internet tells me it’s not much of a thing in Switzerland, either, although some expats still celebrate. Last year, G was allowed to dress up for school and Kindermusik.
View this post on Instagram
G is allowed to dress up for preschool and music class this week. Never one to pass up a chance to bust out a costume, she didn't want to waste the opportunity by wearing her actual Halloween costume every time. So this morning, she's Anna. Plus a goofy face. #lavieve #anna #allfrozeneverything #halloween2015
This year, we’re going to a Halloween party on Saturday afternoon and G can get a prize if she comes in costume. And then on Halloween, Grandma Kathy arrives!
What do you like about Halloween, or dislike? Any big plans this year?
Also check out these other TTT bloggers talking about Halloween:
- Jules at The Bergham Chronicles
- Lissa at Last Rain Girl
- Tamara at Confessions of a Part-Time Working Mom